Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Always The Crows


Always The Crows

And then

There’s always the crows.


A black and shiny sadness that descends upon this world

Every morning.


A comforting darkness.


I can hear them when I open my windows.


Somehow their calls seem louder when the skies are grey.


They greet me when I go on my morning run,

Tossing walnuts into the street so cars can crack them open.


Resourceful birds.


Their voices are not beautiful, but honest.


Crows don’t sugarcoat.


Harbingers of mortality

Travelers between worlds

Crossing from this realm into the next


Deep down and high above


When everything else is gone

There will always be the crows


The mighty silent hush of their wings

Their snarky commentary on this world

Their utter blackness


And a few scattered walnuts

For them to feast on

After we are gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment